If you want to make your songs available for music licensing, or distribute them via the internet or other outlets and you expect to get paid, then there are some things you need to DO.

If you don’t do these things, you might lose out on your well-deserved royalties or leave money on the table. You don’t want that do you? You work too hard, right?

I’m going to tell you the THREE important things you need to do with your compositions in order to make sure you’re getting ALL the monies you deserve and protecting your INVESTMENT.


Performing Rights Organizations (referred to as PROs) collect royalties on a songwriter’s behalf for music that appears in film, t.v., advertising  and live performances. PROs are the entities that actually collect money from broadcasters, networks, productions companies, etc., who pay for the use of music on their networks and in their projects.

There are three PROs in the U.S. and you have your pick of one (ASCAP, BMI or SESAC).

Once you have signed up and affiliated with one, you must also register any/all of your songs. You can do that online once you have created your online account.

In other words, the PRO has to know who you are and and how much to distribute to you based upon your registering a work to their database.

Failure to register your songs means you simply won’t get paid. Each songwriter is responsible for registering their part ownership of any song even though there might be several writers in total.

Here are the three Performing Rights Organizations’ websites:


Check back next week for the two other things you need to do in order to get paid!


You Might Also Like: